Sunday, June 12, 2011

IACL Update

If you are stopping by our site for the first time, WELCOME and thank you for taking a minute to do so!  If you have been here before, thanks for checking back and I apologize there hasn't been an update since March!  We have been working on getting our official website up and running and are almost complete with it as well as with our new logo that we will be using on t-shirts, new brochures, had outs business cards, and the list goes on so check back and soon we will have a lot more to offer and are very excited about it.


Since the last post we have been doing a lot of brainstorming within ourselves and with others on how we can best serve the children and how we can get the word out about the options that exist to help children locally and globally.  I would like to share with you one idea of how YOU can get involved and make a difference in a child's life TODAY.

Be a DHS volunteer and take a child out of the shelter for a few hours, the day, and/or night.  I have done this and can't speak enough about about it!  I filled out the 3 page volunteer application and 1 page background check, submitted it to our local DHS and 2 days later got a phone call that I was approved!  This cost $0 to do, and when I had a day off for my birthday leave at work I took a little 11 year old girl with me to get our hair and nails done, go shopping, out to eat and get snow cones.  I think I was more excited than she was but when she was getting her nails done and looked at me and said "I'm so glad you came and got me today, I've never had my nails done professionally before and have never done so much in one day." I then realized this one day of doing things that many people do often for themselves or their kids was not something usual for this little girl, this was really special to her (and me).  Personally I work full time and don't often get a lot of free time to do things like we did that day but it doesn't have to be that extravagant either.  This past weekend I picked her up, got something to eat and a snow cone (of course) and brought her back to my house to play in the baby pool and slip n slide with our 2 1/2 year old and they both had a blast!  With all that said, if this is something you would like to do too, let us know and you can directly contact me HERE.
Please share this information with your friends and family and as always please feel free to contact us with any questions you may have, that is what we are here for!

No comments:

Post a Comment